Writing a blog for fun in your spare time is different, and writing a blog for a very specific reason – driving traffic to your website is a whole different thing! When writing a blog post with the goal of driving quality traffic to your website, there are many considerations to take into account. The blog must be easily found on the Internet. This means that SEO is important. But what good is a discoverable blog, if it’s not a good read? This means readers are also important.
So whatever you include in your blog writing, make sure you have the best interests of readers and search engines in mind. Readers need to find value in your writing, and search engines need to be able to crawl and understand your content. Blog writing gets a little tricky! But if that’s what your audience expects (search engine and readers included), wouldn’t you rather work on it and deliver? You are right. And don’t worry, here are some tips to keep in mind when blogging:
- There is absolutely no compromise on the quality of the content. If you’re writing content that isn’t interesting in the first place, no amount of SEO (search engine optimization) will help you.
- If your topic is interesting, make sure there are no other “quality” violations like spelling and grammatical errors.
- A catchy headline that creates impact is the essence of blog writing. Readers will base their decision to read the article only after reading the title. As with search engines, include your strongest search terms (keywords) in the title!
- The title should be relevant to the blog that follows of course.
- Writing a blog certainly does not mean writing long pieces of information. Well, that doesn’t mean writing too less too.
- If you use graphics, maintain a good graphics-to-text ratio. SEO frowns on too less text; Well readers don’t find it a good read too!
- If you must use graphics, make sure they are optimized (like alt tag, descriptions, etc.)
- Blogging is a lifelong activity. Remember to add posts frequently.
- If there’s an older article you can link to or refer to, great!
- Submit your posts to popular social networking sites. Readers attracted through these channels are a great way to promote your website. The search engine takes the social signal well too! Make sure you’re there and your blog is where readers and search engines are looking!
There isn’t just one way. However, there are a few proven tricks. This is an attempt to put together some blog writing tips to help you create amazing blogs. Blogging is also a way to promote your business, so be sure to make the most of it.